Tuesday, March 22, 2011

$5 Outdoor Furniture Makeover


Here is my hand-me-down bench before. I am glad to have it. Don't get me wrong. Some people can pull of the retro look. I am not one of them. My only choice for a fabric store is Hobby Lobby and this one doesn't carry outdoor fabric. Not to mention the fact that I just started sewing and a kindergartener could probably do better. I needed an easy solution. One that didn't involve measuring and math skills or pinning. Then it hit me like a ton if bricks while shopping at WalMart. Where else? A fabric lined outdoor tablecloth for $5.  I just cut it up and wrapped each cushion like a present and hot glued it on. Less than 5 minutes. SWEET!! I was pretty proud. Then I thought it needed something so I had just cleaned out my son's closet and was so sad that 2 shirts no longer fit and really wished I could do something with them. Pillows for the bench? I just turned them inside out and made a seam at the top and bottom (without pinning or cutting first, sorry Mom) trimmed off the excess and then unbuttomed them and turned them right side out. I stuffed them with WalMart sacks. My genius son said let's put a big rock in them so they won't blow away and then I buttoned them back up. The bench looks so much better and now every time I see it I see that sweet little boy in those 2 shirts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment